Friday 29 October 2010

You say Tom-ay-ta...

OK, my first ever attempt at chutney was...  Actually, at this precise point, I’m not exactly sure what it was.  It’s still too hot to taste.  Anyway, it looks brown and lumpy (which I think it's supposed to?!) although I’m not sure if it’s a bit too runny (is that a technical term)? 

We planted some tomato plants in gro-bags this summer, which didn’t grow to their full potential but did taste lovely.  However, as it’s nearly November and it’s FREEZING I think it unlikely that they’re going to get much redder so I decided to turn the remnants into Autumn Mixed Tomato Chutney (see recipe below).  I’ll be tasting my efforts in the next few days so will let you know how it is.   And if it is good, it’s going to be added to this year’s Christmas hampers (I say that as though there have been previous years hampers). 

I have of course, made this and still wonder, ‘does anyone like chutney?’  I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it and am never entirely sure what to have eat with it.  I mean, I know cheese but not sure what else?  All of that begs the question, why am I giving it to people for Christmas?  Cruelty?  Nasty streak?  No, my Dad is partial to a bit of chutney, as is my Mum and my in-laws are generally fond of all things home-made (although this attempt could be the exception to prove the rule...).  So here's the recipe.

Autumn Tomato Chutney (makes 1.5 litres or about 6 standard jam jars)
1kg tomatoes, peeled & chopped (I used a combination of ripe and very green!)
750g cooking apples, peeled & chopped
375g light muscovado sugar
250g onions, finely chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded & chopped
2 tsp salt
Half tsp ground ginger
350ml cider vinegar

Put all the ingredients (takes a while to chop them all up!) into a large pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.  Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.  Boil the mixture, uncovered, for about 45 – 50 minutes until the fruit is tender and thickened.  Cool, then transfer into sterilised jars and seal.

Is it just me or is chutney a bit, well, suspect?  Let me know if you try the recipe and if you like chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment