Wednesday 1 August 2012

Gorgeous Dairy Free Homemade Nutella

I've realised that I haven't blogged with a new recipe for a while - which is pretty appalling as I cook ALL the time.  Recently, after buying Cheeky Boy a pot of Nutella when he requested pancakes and Nutella for his birthday breakfast, I have had constant moans from Toots (who is dairy free and therefore, unable to enjoy the delights of Nutella - and quite a few other things too).

In a quest to stop the whining - and in the interests of trying out more dairy free recipes as she's also fussy as well as being dairy intolerant - I searched the internet and found this little beauty on The Londoner blog (thank you!)

Not entirely sure what blog etiquette is here but I've copied it out below (or you can hop on over to The Londoner's Nutella recipe here).

Anyway, it does go rather hard in the fridge overnight so I'd definitely leave it out for an hour before using.  And it's WAY too rich for me (not a massive chocolate lover myself) BUT it is delicious.  I think it would make a fabulous chocolate sauce (albeit very thick!) on ice cream and I am definitely going to try it out in the Frugal Family Homemade Nutella Cookies recipe too substituting the butter for hard Stork, of course (as it's dairy free)...

Homemade Nutella
150grams of hazelnuts
200grams of chocolate (milk would probably make it less rich but I had to use dairy free dark chocolate - for obvious reasons.  Next time I'd be tempted to up the cocoa quantity and reduce the chocolate to reduce the richness but obviously, that's entirely up to your own personal chocolate preference!)
120g icing sugar
60g cocoa powder
Vegetable or rapeseed oil (I used Black and Gold rapeseed oil from East Lothian)
and a clean jar - I sterilised it in the oven for 30 minutes on a low heat.

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F 
2. Pour your hazelnuts into a baking tray and roast them on the middle shelf forabout 10 - 15mins.  If you're using unblanched hazelnuts (as I did) you'll need to take of the skins after roasting to stop the spread being too bitter - but don't worry about removing every last piece as it won't make too much difference as long as most of the skins have been removed.  You can do this by hand.
3. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.  Once the hazelnuts are ready, put them in a food processor and blend until turning into a hazelnut butter consistency - the smoother the better (although crunchy Nutella would be lovely too!)

4. Once blended, add all the dry ingredients, the melted chocolate and 2 tablespoons of whatever oil you've decided to use.  Blitz for a few seconds to combine before adding another tablespoon or so of oil then whizz for 10 - 15 minutes - basically until it looks like melted Nutella.
5. Then pour into the jar, seal tight and put in the fridge overnight.  

As I said, I'd give it an hour to soften up but it is absolutely delicious!  And, more importantly, now Toots has a dairy free chocolate spread/sauce that's all her own!

No comments:

Post a Comment